Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Squirrels and Skinned Knees

So Saturday. That was something.

We rode 50 miles! I was pretty proud of that accomplishment. We started out in Shipshewana, rode trails & roads to Ox Bow Park in Goshen, then turned around and came back the same way. And the coolest part? I wasn't even sore the next day! Well, except for the battle scars from my run-in with the pavement. I'll get to that later.

The day was pretty warm, but it was still an awesome day to ride! I'm still loving the Pumpkinvine Trail. It's just so pretty, and perfect to bike on. Nice smooth pavement and no cars to worry about.

But there are squirrels. Nevin ran over this one.


It was sitting on the trail, and we were going to pass on either side of it since it wasn't moving. But just as we got there, it took off running- right in front of Nevin. He ran over it, while I cringed and yelled... and cracked up. When we went back to see what happened with it, the poor thing was part way up the tree, and just sitting there panting. And bleeding out the mouth. I tried to get closer for a picture, but he was feeling self conscious and went farther up the tree so I couldn't get a photo of its face. Oh well.

The trail passes through Oakridge Cemetery in Goshen, which has all kinds of history. I'm sure there are a ton of interesting stories behind those gravestones, and I would love to hear some of them. There are veterans of every major US war buried there, and graves dating back to 1832. There is a green octagonal building in the center of the cemetery where they used to put the coffins in the winter time until the ground thawed enough to bury them. We know all this, because Nevin had plenty of time to read the signs while I was recovering from my attack on the trail...

A little under 20 miles in, just as we got to Oakridge Cemetery, I up and dropped off the side of the trail. After that, I can't be sure exactly how everything went down. Nevin could probably give a more accurate rendition of what happened, because for me it was all kind of a blur. There was panicking, over-correcting, diving for the cement, bleeding, checking for bones jutting out anywhere, white light, "Moses? Abraham, is that you? I'm coming home!" ...wait. That's just Nevin, asking if I'm okay. Hi Nevin. Let me check. Yep, I seem to still be alive. Then I laid in the grass and started laughing. And I couldn't stop. I think I saw Nevin wiping tears at one point, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't crying... In true Miller family fashion, once he knew I still had a pulse, the laughing and mocking began. Once I was able to stand again, and felt like I could maybe remember how to ride a bike, I got back in the saddle and we headed out to finish up the 50 mile ride. I need to take Maurice (my bike) to the shop to see if they can fix the bent handlebars, and let my knee and other bruises heal up a little, then I'll be ready to go again!



Added to the trip supply list: First Aid kit.


Click the Donation Info tab at the top of the page to see where your donations are going.

1 comment:

  1. whilest thou recoverest, we should gather ourselves together...

    ReplyDelete