Wednesday, April 25, 2012

1 month, 3 weeks, 1 day. Until we embark on an adventure so big, we'll probably both require surgery afterwards. Bike removal surgery.

1,000 miles (give or take a few) looks pretty huge today, but if I compare my endurance now to my first ride this spring, it doesn't look nearly as discouraging. It'll take a lot of hard work, and probably some bruises. But we! can! do this!

Last night was my first experience with my new clipless pedals. They say everyone falls at least once when learning to use them, but I was hoping I was not the average person in this case. I mean, I'm better than average in a lot of other areas, why not this one? I set out for a short ride with fear and trembling in my heart... And I loved them! Biked all the way to Topeka. Stopped for a bathroom break. (Taking the bike along into the restroom with me. I'm not overprotective of my stuff or anything.) Keeping everything upright the whole time. I AM SO GOOD AT THIS! I can keep biking forever!

Until. I hit 8 miles, and was still feeling pretty good about myself. It was getting dark, so I had put my sunglasses in my hoodie pocket, and turned my lights on. Suddenly, I heard the sunglasses hit the ground. No! I can't lose those! I paid actual money for them! I hit the brakes, while quickly getting my right foot unclipped. Way to go, self, I thought, you're such a quick thinker with that unclipping while suddenly stopping business. You'll probably win some kind of "no falling with clipless pedals" prize after this. I stopped. I leaned to the left. Then I leaned waaaaaay left. I had leaned toward the side that was still clipped into the pedal. And sprawled right out on the road. So much for quick thinking. 

I stood up, set my bike in the ditch while I grabbed my sunglasses, got back on the bike, and rode off into the sunset. 16.57 miles in all. My left leg is still pretty sore today, but I'm pretty sure I'll live. I just hope I get a giant bruise out of the deal.

Speaking of sunsets... Last night was a perfect evening to be biking. No wind, just the right amount of chilly, and the sky was gorgeous!




21 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post! Can you post pics of all injuries acquired throughout training and trip? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun!! Agreed with Rach I wanna see the injuries!! Not because its funny but so I can pity u more!!Hahahahahaha!!!!! Luv u!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea....a blog to keep everyone updated on your progress. I admire you for doing this bike trip thing:) Jenni K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome! how long are you guys planning on taking? how long will you be in canada afterwards? so excited for you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're planning on around 2 weeks for the biking, and staying up there at Galen's for about a week after we get there. Thanks, I'm excited too! :)

      Delete
    2. Who's going with you? Way to go, I can hardly think of my own body sitting in a vehicle that Long for a trip that far let alone biking that far. What are those straps you are talking about n what's the point of having those, can you tell I'm totally clueless!

      Delete
    3. It's just Nevin & I going! Basically the clipless pedals keep your feet attached to the pedals, and give you more power. Which I think I'll be needing! :)

      Delete
  5. Sarah...Seriously? I met you biking last week...close to Emma:) So ride on and may your bumps and bruises be few!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo Proud. I am. Keep up the great writing and riding and the being awesomer. May your be extreme leanings be few, may you always have tailwinds and may your Chamois Butt'r barrel never run dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No charge on the extra 'be'. I just didn't need it anymore.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Thank you for all that. And also for the be. I'll probably need an extra before too long here.

      Delete
  7. Sarah...thank for your post ....i think that your trip will be so adventures !!1 i am so excited for you ....i am even thinking of joining you1!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you getting a bike or do you want to sit in the trailer?

      Delete
  8. Wow Sarah!! That's Great! I hope too you don't have many spills. Norman can relate to those! Is someone else riding with you too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Norman still biking a lot? I've thought of him and his biking & bike trip when we were planning this :)

      Delete
    2. Yes he is. He has set a huge goal for himself this year.He will be turning 60 this fall and he wants to ride 6,000 miles this year. So far he has some over 1,400 miles already. His regular evening ride is usually 32 miles. Last Sat. he went 80 mi. (Making up for some days when he won't be riding.)

      Delete
  9. Sorry Sarah, I read your "About Us" paragraph after I posted my comment. I see now that Nevin is going with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah i was thinking more on .....welll the bike!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete