Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 7

We did it! We rode 106.54 miles in the hills of Wisconsin! It was a long day, but SUCH a good feeling to have made it all the way here.
.
Yesterday the guard dogs along the way were feeling extra guardish. There were two that came out and chased us... The first one only tried to bite Nevin, the second one was yapping and trying to get at both our ankles. I'm sure they just wanted to take friendly little tastes. Nevin gave the first one a "friendly little push" away from him, but the second dog's owners were outside to call it off.
.
We had a bit of a delay in the one tiny town we passed through, as there was a parade in our way. It was definitely a small town parade, and pretty entertaining. :)
.
We had quite a few miles of dirt roads yesterday, which slowed us down a lot. That, in addition to the many large hills made the day quite a bit longer than it would have been otherwise. Nevin is pulling a good 60-70 pounds on the trailer, so he really felt those hills! It was quite the workout.
.
Turns out on a century ride (well, for me) you're eventually just concentrating on survival and getting there. Not on hygiene or anything else. By 95 miles I was wiping my nose on my gloves, and if a bug flew in my mouth and I spit on my arm trying to get rid of it? Well, that'll just have to dry on its own, now, won't it? I'll shower later. By 102 miles, I didn't even try to spit the bugs out anymore. Just bike. Keep the wheels turning.
.
Now if we can just get our sore muscles to move, we'll get on the road to the next destination. Thankfully today is a little shorter- around 77 miles, I think.
.




2 comments:

  1. maybe you could have just got in line with the parade :) mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you a lot the last few days, especially since I was without electronics and couldn't check up on you. :) Over half way here!!! You guys are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete